Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
We are looking for a senior backend Rails developer to join our team on a full-time basis to help build resilient device integrations, data crunching tasks, and fast and performant queries.
We can offer great flexibility, we support hybrid or fully remote working and can accommodate flexible working hours to fit your lifestyle.
At Amba Health & Care Ltd our passion is keeping older people safe, well, and living independently for longer. We combine beautiful products, the latest medical technology with a simple application to keep older people safe and well in their own homes while giving carers and families peace of mind.
We are a small but ambitious team and although Amba is in its infancy, the team is well-rounded with a mix of skills and experience.
Every developer in the team has a certain level of "full stack" so you’ll need to be comfortable writing features that will both involve Rails/ActiveRecord/Sidekiq but also dip your toes into the view side of things.
On top of the common stack, all our developers have, or are developing a particular skill or expertise. Some are more proficient in accessibility, others in Devops while some live and breathe API challenges.
“I joined the team nearly 4 years ago as a budding young software developer and I am so grateful for my experience here. The work culture is very nurturing. I was entrusted with opportunities and responsibilities early on. Pushed to create amazing software without worrying about the stress of failure. It really helped me to accelerate my growth, every day is a new learning experience.
I have great respect for the team’s drive to continuously develop new technologies, solve new problems, and improve working processes and employee skills. I like the informal work environment and direct way of approaching one another. This atmosphere keeps all employees closely involved in the company, and motivates us to do our absolute best.”
– James Reading, Ruby on Rails Developer, 2022
About the role
We are looking for an experienced developer who can help with growing a team through mentorship, leading by example, and establishing best practices.
You will be driven to solve tough problems and continually consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of older people.
The work is varied and includes every aspect of Rails; one week you could be integrating a new device API; the following week, you could be deep into SQL optimisation or working on some refactoring.
As part of the senior team, alongside feature development, you will be expected to contribute to the technical feature planning, spend time on designing our architecture and thinking about possible ways to optimise it, as well as helping with research & development.
How we work
Every day starts with a brief virtual stand-up to discuss progress.
We work in 10 days sprints that start with a planning session where all features are discussed in depth by the development team. Typically the features are driven by user feedback and the product management team and aim to make the product better with every iteration.
At the end of each sprint, we do a quick retrospective to catch any urgent issues. Every 2 sprints, we organise a more in-depth retro to improve our process and practices. We encourage everyone to voice their ideas and concerns.
Every two sprints, we include a wriggle week, giving the engineering team a chance to decide what they would like to focus on.
As a developer you will:
- Build and ship new features; helping our customers to look after vulnerable people more effectively.
- Write tests and fix bugs.
- Review pull requests from other developers.
- Drive continuous improvement of the product and the team.
- Communicate on progress and report issues to management.
- Be responsible for feature deployment and help with Q & A from time to time.
- Take responsibility and be ready to give a helping hand if something bad were to happen on production at any point (let’s hope it doesn’t though!)
- Contribute to creating a strong culture of trust within the team.
Our tech stack:
We’re all believers in the big monolith approach and work as close as possible following "the Rails Way".
You can expect to be working with:
- Ruby on Rails 7.0
- Soon we plan to introduce either StimulusReflex/CableRead or use the ActionCable/Turbo
- Turbo iOS / Turbo Android mobile apps
- Webpacker, Bootstrap 5, yarn.
- Sidekiq powers all our background jobs, and we’re running a ton of them.
- 5+ years of Ruby/Rails experience
- Experience as a technical leader; growing technical teams and establishing best practices.
- Strong written and asynchronous communication skills (we use Asana and Slack to report on progress )
- Collaborate effectively with other developers; by pairing or answering questions.
- Passion for mentoring and coaching team members.
- Take ownership of your tasks and responsibilities.
- Manage priorities and adapt to change.
- Be comfortable working with a hybrid team.
- Ability to manage pressure even when things are going south.
- Be passionate about the product
- Ideally, you will be able to attend a monthly meeting at our Bristol head office but this is not a deal breaker. (If you’re not UK-based, your timezone should be UTC-2 to UTC+2 so we can have a good day of overlap)
Salary and benefits
We can offer you:
- Salary range: £70-85K p/a
- Flexibility: This could be working from home, doing the school run, or life admin. We understand that flexibility is essential to a healthy work/life balance, so tell us what is important to you and we will try our best to accommodate.
- Equity in the company through a share option scheme, because we want everyone to have a stake in our success.
- 33 days holiday, including bank holidays, plus an additional 2 days per year after 2 years of continuous service.
- Pension scheme enrolment with enhanced employer contributions.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave.
- A subscription to the financial wellbeing platform Mintago, with access to free expert advice and tools to help plan and manage your finances, helping to reduce financial stress.
- A life insurance policy with a lump sum payment equal to four times your salary made to your nominated beneficiary in the event of your death whilst an employee.
- Discounts for online workouts and more than 3,000 health and fitness clubs nationwide.
- A fascinating problem to solve; your feature may even save someone’s life one day.
- Lovely offices in a great Bristol location, along with fun social events (when we are allowed to do so!)
We are always listening to our teams and evolving the benefits available to our people as we continue to grow.
How to apply and what to expect from the hiring process
If you’ve made it this far, then why not apply?
We want to find people who are excited to be on this journey with us, so if you are excited by the role but don’t have all the requirements, then don’t let that hold you back, we’d love to hear from anyone passionate about our mission. Send a CV and paragraph or, if you prefer, a short video on why you would be a good fit for the role and Amba to CTO Nicolas Alpi at email@example.com
If this grabs our attention, then we will get in touch within 72 hrs to set up an initial chat. Our process is:
- Initial chat (30 mins) with CTO and CEO to discuss your background and aspirations and for us to talk more about the role and our expectations.
- Pair coding exercise (3 hrs) where you will work on a feature alongside a member of the team. We don’t expect you to write code but explain how you would approach and solve the problem. Scheduled to follow the pair coding will be an interview (30-45 mins) with the CTO and at least one other member of the Amba team.
We want to build a diverse team that we believe will contribute to our success as a company. We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
If you require any reasonable adjustments during the application or interview process, please let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate.
We aim to make recruitment decisions quickly, so you can expect a quick response to your application.
We’re looking forward to your email 👩💻